Backup & Disaster Recovery (BDR) Appliance
from the Intel AppUp® SMB Service
|BDR Appliance Description||Included Software||Hardware Options||Why Choose||FAQs||Contacts||Pricing/Order Form
|View Demo||Take a Test Drive|
Backup & Disaster Recovery (BDR) Appliance Description
Intel AppUp® SMB Service now offers a preconfigured hardware appliance that combines the award-winning benefits of StorageCraft* ShadowProtect* Server 4 software with the strengths and flexibility of the Intel® Hybrid Cloud Platform. Included is custom code (Intel® Quick Access Technology) developed by Intel that enables a temporary virtual production server or client to run directly on the BDR appliance in a virtual machine (VM).
The BDR appliance is unique to the market because it shares the benefits of other products offered from the Intel AppUp® SMB Service through the Intel® Hybrid Cloud program. No other supplier offers an on-premises model with the flexibility to choose from a catalog of subscription software on a monthly subscription-based model.
The data center and Intel Hybrid Cloud server infrastructure are designed to enable the metering, remote management, and security that make possible this new, flexible, and cost-effective subscription service for Intel Reseller Partners.
With the Intel Hybrid Cloud offering, your customers can trade high, up-front capital costs for a scalable monthly operational expense that can be adjusted to fit their business needs. The Intel Hybrid Cloud Platform addresses small business concerns, such as the ability to access data locally at LAN speeds without having to depend on an Internet connection.
|Replication:||StorageCraft* HeadStart Restore*
|RMM:||Level Platforms Managed Workplace 2011*|
|Recovery:||Intel® Quick Access Technology|
|Catalog:||Intel AppUp® SMB Service|
Equus offers a wide range of build-to-order, ready-to-ship, and private label computing solutions to provide your clients with the tools they need to get the job done. The BDR Appliance from Intel AppUp SMB Service and Equus offers Intel® Server Boards and Chassis, and the latest Intel® Xeon® Processors. Options include 1 or 2 socket servers, redundant power, hardware RAID controller, multiple drive capacity options and 1U or pedestal form factors.
- Where to order: http://www.equuscs.com/bdr
Custom SKUs of the Lenovo ThinkServer TS130* series featuring the latest Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 series, expansive storage capacity, and powerful remote manageability tools.
- Where to order: https://store.intelhybridcloud.com/
Why choose the BDR appliance over same-class competitors?
- Simplicity - The BDR appliance is a preconfigured package, so there’s no need to download and install StorageCraft or Level Platforms Inc., software from the Intel AppUp® SMB Service store.
- Competitive pricing - The BDR appliance is competitively priced, managed remotely, and built on the Intel Hybrid Cloud Platform, giving MSPs a monthly subscription basis for a lower per-user cost.
- Intel® Quick Access Technology - This custom Intel code enables a temporary virtual production server or client to run directly on the BDR appliance in a VM. Even before taking the time to do an image restore, MSPs can give their small business customers temporary access to an identical copy of the server environment that failed, with a data-state as recent as 15 minutes, running directly on their on-site BDR appliance.
- Additional revenue source - MSPs can download and install additional applications from the Store and run them on the BDR appliance (note: the number of additional appliances is limited by overall application load and memory).
- Faster Bare-Metal Recovery - Recover a server system without the need for a recovery CD or flash drive.
What software comes with the BDR appliance hardware?
The software combination preconfigured on the hardware appliance includes:
- StorageCraft* ShadowProtect Server* 4
- StorageCraft ShadowControl* ImageManager* with ShadowStream* for fast, efficient remote backup; and HeadStart Restore for quick restorations
- Level Platforms* Inc. (LPI) Managed Workplace* 2011 Onsite Manager, SOHO version for Remote Monitoring and Management
- Level Platforms Inc. Hosted Service Center
- Microsoft* Windows Server 2008 Web Edition to run ShadowProtect, ShadowProtect ImageManager*, and LPI licenses
- Intel® Quick Access Technology – the custom Intel code that allows a temporary production server (or client) to run directly on the BDR appliance
- Intel® Hybrid Cloud Platform Core Service:
- Proven cloud-based software delivery mechanism
- Monthly software usage monitoring/billing
- Access to a catalog of tested business applications targeted to the small business customer
- Software license management
- Robust remote management capabilities
- Access to monitor and maintain deployed servers through the management portal
Why choose the BDR appliance with ShadowProtect* Server software?
Maximize Business Continuity and minimize your Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
The BDR appliance with ShadowProtect Server provides fast and reliable disaster recovery, data protection, and system migration to get servers online as quickly as possible. ShadowProtect Server provides:
- Rapid recovery from bare metal to dissimilar hardware or to and from virtual environments
- Centralized backup administration from a Web-based management console
- ShadowControl* ImageManager* to automatically consolidate backup image files
- Verification and re-verification of backup images
- VirtualBoot technology for quick failover to a virtual server
- Converter tool for converting to .VHD or .VMDK
- Automatic backup of SQL, Exchange, and other critical applications
- Granular recovery of individual files and folders in moments
- Simplified migration to new Windows* servers
- Scheduler for automatic full and incremental backups
Why use the included ShadowStream* software?
StorageCraft* ShadowStream* is a full Disaster Recovery (DR) tool. It speeds up the transfer of additional backup image copies to a remote location like an MSP or a Cloud Provider location. You can also use standard FTP transfers to move files off-site if you choose.
Why use the included ShadowControl* ImageManager*?
Simplify Backup and Disaster Recovery Management
Backup and Disaster Recovery (BDR) can be difficult to manage, leaving many small and medium businesses questioning whether their BDR plan will work when disaster strikes. ShadowControl ImageManager* provides new and innovative tools to deliver rapid disaster recovery, off-site replication and confirmation of backup integrity, and simplified management of your backup image files. ShadowControl ImageManager provides:
- Rapid recovery in minutes with HeadStart Restore*
- Automatic consolidation of backup image files to streamline backup management and reduce disk space
- Verification and re-verification of backup images
- Replication of backup images to off-site locations, if applicable
- ShadowStream technology to optimize and speed off-site replication of backup image files
- Automatic e-mail notification of backup job status
Introduction to BDR FAQ
Question: What does BDR stand for and what is it?
Answer: The industry acronym BDR stands for Backup and Disaster Recovery. The general concept is that data is not only secured locally and/or remotely, but that it can be restored when a large or small disaster happens. There are several competitive BDR appliances on the market, from inexpensive on the low-end to higher-cost offerings.
Question: What does the BDR appliance from the Intel AppUp SMB Service do?
Answer: The BDR appliance from the Intel AppUp® SMB Service is enhanced by StorageCraft* software and runs on the Intel® Hybrid Cloud Platform. Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can offer fast, on-site or off-site backup and permanent recovery for their small business customers, and also rapidly recover vital business information if a customer loses their critical data. The BDR appliance can quickly produce isolated virtual machine (VM) copies of disk images as a recovered production server (or client) if a system or disk fails. Most importantly, MSPs can use the Intel® Quick Access Technology to give their customers temporary access the exact server environment that failed, directly on the local BDR appliance, while the failed system is being fixed or replaced. The data changes users make while working in this temporary VM are also backed up to the BDR appliance and will be ready for permanent restore when the time is right. Due to the nature of this software integration, the Intel® Quick Access Technology is only available on the preconfigured BDR appliance.
Question: Is the Backup & Disaster Recovery (BDR) appliance a server hardware appliance or a software offering from the Intel AppUp® SMB Service Store?
Answer: The BDR appliance is a Hardware appliance sold as a hardware choice in the Hardware section of the Intel AppUp® SMB Service store. When you order the hardware appliance, an internal SKU for the BDR software package is automatically triggered and the BDR appliance will be pre-configured for you. All of the stand-alone StorageCraft software is still available through the Intel AppUp SMB Service store for use on any Intel Hybrid Cloud server.
Question: What is the difference between Failover and Disaster Recovery?
Answer: Failover is another local system that can become the primary server (or client) after a failure. In this instance, the BDR appliance acts as failover. Full DR means that if a building is struck by a disaster such as a fire or flood, customer server state is saved at a remote location (MSP location or a Cloud Data Center). Recovery then happens from that remote saved data.
Detailed BDR Appliance FAQ
Question: What is the difference between the Intel AppUp® SMB Service store offering of StorageCraft software and the preconfigured BDR Appliance?
Answer: With the BDR appliance, you get enhanced BDR functionality and instant, easy access to the Intel AppUp® SMB Service catalog.
Both the BDR appliance and the stand-alone StorageCraft ShadowProtect Server software can quickly produce isolated virtual machine (VM) copies of disk images, but only the preconfigured BDR appliance has:
- Intel® Quick Access Technology – This is custom code that enables a temporary virtual production server or client to run directly on the BDR appliance in a VM. You can also perform bare-metal restores to physical or virtual servers directly from the appliance without the need for a recovery CD or flash drive.
- The ability to run additional applications from the Intel AppUp SMB Service store on the appliance.
- Additional management software – Because the BDR appliance runs on an Intel® Hybrid Cloud server, it already contains the software needed to download, install, and manage other applications and appliances purchased from the store.
You can still choose the stand-alone StorageCraft software options from the store.
The preconfigured appliance is sold as a Hardware choice in the store. You can order the appliance from the Hardware section and additional software licenses from the Software section of the store. The BDR appliance will arrive preconfigured (see the Software section at the end of this FAQ).
Question: What are the key differentiators against our same-class competitors?
- Intel® Quick Access Technology – the custom Intel code that enables a temporary virtual production server (or client) to run directly on the BDR appliance in a VM. Even before taking time to do an image restore, MSPs can let their SMB users temporarily access the exact server environment that failed, with a data-state as recent as 15 minutes, directly on the local BDR appliance.
- The ability for an MSP to run additional applications from the Store on the BDR appliance. (Limited by overall application load and memory).
- The BDR appliance is competitively priced, managed remotely and built on the Intel Hybrid Cloud Platform, offering MSPs a monthly subscription basis for a lower per user cost.
- Pre-configuration with no need to download and install StorageCraft or LPI software from the store.
- Bare-metal recovery of a server system without the need of a recovery CD or flash drive.
Question: Cloud: Can an MSP offer customers remote cloud storage of backup images, and enable temporary access to backup VMs using Intel® Quick Access Technology to customers?
Answer: Yes. Included in the BDR appliance is StorageCraft* ShadowStream* software to efficiently transfer additional copies of the your SMB customers’ backup images to a remote location, should you decide to offer remote backup. Standard FTP transfers can also be used to move files off-site. ShadowStream* is a tool for full Disaster Recovery (DR). Read the Solution Brief to learn more about how options for remote backup.
Question: Can an MSP run additional applications from the Store on the BDR appliance?
Answer: Yes! This feature separates the BDR appliance from others on the market. You can run additional appliances/applications on the server, depending on the BDR appliance server load. A maximum of two additional appliances/applications is recommended. The Solution Brief (Product Usage Scenarios) shows mixing store applications and other IHC servers with the BDR appliance.
Question: When performing system backups, I cannot take the time to shut down a system each time I want to create a backup image. How does ShadowProtect help me solve this problem?
Answer: By leveraging disk imaging with existing Windows* volume snapshot service (VSS) technology, ShadowProtect* lets you create live system backups without any system downtime. ShadowProtect creates live backup images that include the operating system, critical data, and configuration settings.
|ShadowProtect Desktop||Address: 11850 S. Election Road, Suite 120, Utah 84020
|ShadowProtect Server||Address: 11850 S. Election Road, Suite 120, Utah 84020
|ShadowProtect Small Business Server||Address: 11850 S. Election Road, Suite 120, Utah 84020
|ShadowControl ImageManager||Address: 11850 S. Election Road, Suite 120, Utah 84020